Using the polygon model character provided in class, I created a UV map for it using the guidelines and requirements given to us. First action I performed was placing symmetry on the model before transferring it as a UV. This allowed me to only work on half the model as the other half would update as I worked on it. Next I went about planning how I would split up the character. I saw several different sections where the model could be separated. These were;
- Arms & Hands
I then began working on the head. I cut the antenna from the head and then the head from the shirt. I then dropped these parts into the edit mode and flattened them out.
Next were the arms and the shirt. I cut the shirt down the seams so that it would appear as though it was stitched at these parts. The arms were particularly difficult to decide where to cut, but I chose to cut them at the bottom as I assumed this would be a spot where they would be less noticed. They were, like the head, dropped into edit mode and flattened out.
Next were the hands. These were cut along the sides and flattened out in component mode.
The pants were handled a similar way to the shirt. They were cut along the seams as to appear as though they were stitched together at these points. They were then dropped into edit mode and flattened out.
The legs were cut in a similar way to the arms. They were cut in the spot that would most likely not appear on camera and were dropped into edit mode and flattened like everything else.
Finally there were the feet. The were cut in similar ways to the shirt and shorts as they followed the seams. This one was particularly difficult though and took me a couple of times as they would need to flatten out in an appropriate manner. I am fairly happy with the result I got in the end.
Finally, I tweaked the UV’s in an attempt to make them all appear green as this demonstrated that the UV’s would be perfectly flattened out. I did’t quite get there, but the majority of the UV’s are flattened to a great extent.